I love tacos! They are so quick and easy to make and super versatile. You can put pretty much whatever you want in a tortilla and call it dinner. Maybe not whatever you want… but you know what I’m saying.
I had never made fish tacos before, so recently I decided to whip up a batch. This recipe is very light, which is good since it’s now bathing suit season. The grilled fish paired with the sweet and slightly spicy pineapple salsa is perfect with a nice, cold beer on a summer day. So grab a bunch of tortillas, a pineapple, and some fish and you have a delicious summer meal! Oh yeah, don’t forget the Corona!
Fish Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
For the salsa:
- About half a pineapple, diced
- 2-3 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, diced (preferably a sweet onion, like Vidalia or red onion)
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced (depending on how hot you want it, leave the seeds out if you want it less hot, keep the seeds in if you want it with a kick)
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 limes
For the fish:
- 4 or 5 tilapia fillets (or any other firm white fish, like cod or mahi mahi)
- 2-3 limes
- 2-3 minced garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- Flour or corn tortillas, which ever you prefer
- 1 napa cabbage, shredded
- 2-3 scallions, finely sliced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves picked off the stems
- Sour cream
- 1 lime, quartered
For the salsa, mix the pineapple, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, cilantro in a medium sized bowl. Squeeze the juice of two limes over the mixture and season with salt. Mix well and set aside to let the flavors meld. You can make this ahead of time, it will only taste better with time.
For the fish, squeeze the juice of two limes in a shallow dish. Mix in the garlic. Season the fish fillets with cumin, salt, and pepper and then place in the dish with the lime juice and the garlic. Let marinate for 15-20 minutes. Preheat the grill (or grill pan) on medium high heat. Grill the fish for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until opaque and firm to the touch. Warm the tortillas, you can warm them individually in a skillet and then wrap in a towel or in the microwave by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and heating for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
To serve, flake the fish, squeeze lime over the fish, and fill a tortilla. Top with cabbage, scallions, cilantro, pineapple salsa, and sour cream. Devour with gusto!